The Co-Operatives and Mutuals Strategic Development Program(CMSDP) has been designed by Winthrop Professor Tim Mazzarol and Dr Elena Limnios, recognised experts in the field, following extensive research into the needs of co-operative and mutual organisations.
This three-day program applies theory and
industry best practice to the organisational
realities of the participants.
The program will focus on the sustainability,
performance, and resilience of co-operative
and mutual organisations.
June 2019 Intake: AIM WA, Floreat
July 2019 Intake: Melbourne CBD, Venue TBA
The Crucial Need for the CMSDP
While there are many general management and
development programs on the market, most do
not meet the specific requirements of this sector,
which has acknowledged the need for a dedicated
course which captures the unique nature of the
co-operative enterprise business model.
Many aspects of the way co-operative and
mutual enterprises are managed are similar
to more conventional businesses. However,
there are also many important differences.
These relate to areas such as their governance,
distribution of share capital and voting rights,
human resources, communications, marketing
and strategic purpose.
Download program brochure
At the conclusion of the program participants should be able to:
- Compare and contrast the co-operative and mutual business model with that of investor-owned businesses
- Exhibit knowledge of the co-operative and mutual business model as it exists locally, nationally and internationally
- Demonstrate an ability to apply their understanding of co-operative and mutual enterprise business model dynamics to the solving of managerial problems
- Have greater insight into their personal leadership strengths and weaknesses and how they relate to their organisation’s imperatives
- Evaluate the impact, and make strategic decisions in relation to:
government policies and legal environments
- competitive market dynamics
- social cooperation within their member community, and
the impact of the natural environment
- Understand the nature of member loyalty and engagement within a co-operative and mutual enterprise and how to strengthen and retain member commitment.