The Future is Asian is the blunt title of Dr Parag Khanna’s best-selling book. Described by the New York Times as a “foreign policy whiz kid”, his message offers a powerful stimulus to Western Australian leaders and organisations to engage more fully with Asia before it’s too late.
Encompassing fifty-three countries and nearly 5 billion people – only 1.5 billion of whom are Chinese – Asia will become the most significant economic region in the world in this decade. Through good fortune, Western Australia’s time zone, resource rich economy, education sector, tourism, technology, agribusiness and a highly trusted business reputation, WA is ideally placed to capitalise on this massive opportunity.
However, maximising this opportunity will require skilled, Asia Ready leadership across all sectors.
What does it mean to be an Asia Ready Leader?
- A mindset that supports and embraces diversity
- A deeply held belief that Asia has as much to teach us as the West has to teach them
- Access to strategies for building long-term, sustainable relationships
- An ability to see the world from an Asian perspective – not exclusively from a Western lens
- A thorough understanding of the knowledge and skills required to do business in Asia
- Literacy on the protocols and customs relevant to each country
- A plan to source the best international talent available
The Asian Engagement Summit not only brings together regional business and government leaders to articulate the economic imperative of engaging with Asia, but also to offer the lived experience of interacting, doing business, sharing information and genuinely feeling part of this Region.
As Keynote Speaker, Dr Parag Khanna, describes “To see the world from the Asian point of view requires overcoming decades of accumulated … ignorance about Asia … Western populist politics … haven’t infected Asia … Rather than being backward looking, navel-gazing, and pessimistic, billions of Asians are forward-looking, outward-oriented and optimistic".
The rest of the Australia and the world are not sitting back waiting for WA to embrace the massive out-bound and in-bound potential of 5 billion people to our north. Book your place to hear this brilliant global strategist outline the imperative for WA to act now.
The Asian Engagement Summit is run in collaboration with the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation to help implement Western Australia’s Asian Engagement Strategy 2019 - 2030.